Sunday, October 26, 2008

Pumpkin Festival

Picking the right pumpkin is not just an art, it’s an adventure. Every year, the Desert Botanical Garden has a two-day pumpkin festival with fun for all ages. A short hay-ride in the desert drops you off at the pumpkin patch but, you can only get there after skillfully making your way through the amazing hay bale maze. Once you arrive, you find the ground covered with pumpkins of every size and best of all, if you are under 12 years old, you get to take one home with you. It's a tough decision for those young ones. "Do I go for the big one that my dad will have to carry or do I get a small one that I can carry all the way home?"


The small picture shows one of the many hay rides on its way back to the starting point to be serenaded with live music and enticed by the scent of Kettle Corn.

5 comments:

Susie of Arabia said...

You are making me homesick! I used to love taking the little ones and picking out pumpkins and then carving them!

alice said...

And choosing is always difficult! Although it's the best moment in my opinion ;-)
This is a typically American scene!

Mo said...

Thank-you Sharon. Will reply properly tomorrow. Love your pumpkins. Do you carve them?

Hope said...

This is such a heartwarming scene. I just love this time of year!

Z said...

He he! I smiled when I read the part about the under-12s getting their pumpkins for free. I would add the stipulation that the child must carry the thing home. Does that make me grinch-like?

Thank you for the recipe. I'm going to have to try it out before too long.