Friday, December 9, 2016

Exhibition of Photo Books


The second exhibition that I stopped to see at the Phoenix Art Museum last Friday was all about photo books.  One of the support groups for the museum, INFOCUS invited photographers to submit their self-published photo books for a juried exhibition.  That resulted in 111 books being selected from photographers from all over the world.  The room they were displayed in was set up with sofas and chairs and guest were encouraged to pick up a book or two, relax and enjoy them.  When I was there, quite a few people were doing just that.


This book with photos turned to Kaleidoscopes caught my attention because I happen to love making kaleidoscopes from photos I've taken.  I use mostly my nature photos to do it but I have a few really good ones that I've done from architectural photos.  This gave me an idea for making my own photo book of kaleidoscopes images.


This was another book that I admired.  It contained photos of people in their youth beside photos of them at much older ages.  Many of them were nudes.  Not provocative nudes, just casual nudes that in spite of the aging bodies, possessed a natural beauty.

It was another interesting exhibit that I'll have to visit again before it leaves.  There are a few more of those books I need to look at.

11 comments:

Andy said...

How sweet it is... a photographer's dream.

Stefan Jansson said...

We might get more books like the one by Marna in the future as everyone shoots selfies today.

Christine said...

I do hope you create your own photo book too Sharon!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

I would love to visit this kind of exhibition Sharon, love the idea of sitting perusing different styles of photography. The kaleidescope idea sounds fascinating, I would really like to see some of your shots in this style.

Judy said...

I guess a whole day could be spent at that exhibit.

Lowell said...

Phoenix has so many interesting things going on. I used to have quite a collection of photo books but not so much anymore. Was your book in this exhibition? If not, it should have been, and if you don't have a book, you should have because your photography is just that good!

RedPat said...

You must do a book, Sharon! And show us a few of your experiments. One would need a lot of time to really check out that exhibit!

William Kendall said...

I could see that exhibit occupying my attention for a good while!

Catalyst said...

I wonder if you've ever visited Nellie Bly in Jerome, a shop that specializes in kaleidoscopes. A wonderful place.

Lois said...

I'd probably spend the whole day in that one exhibit.

Jack said...

Great idea! I would like to see your kaleidoscope photo book after you produce it. And, I suspect I would have loved the book of nudes of older folks. In Naples, there are many quite old people, and I enjoy talking with them and even sneaking peaks at their sags and wrinkles. Only rarely do I get up the courage to ask a really wrinkled person if I can photograph them, but I think I will start trying.