Monday, August 7, 2017

Ghost Signs and Art


About four years ago, I did a post about attending an open house event in a new Arizona State University Art Space in downtown Phoenix.  They had acquired an old warehouse and created some innovative artist spaces inside.  The outside of the old warehouse building has a number of ghosts signs on it.  At the very top I can make out the word "Southwest" but, I'm not sure about the rest of that line.  It might say "Cotton".  The sign below it about Machinery Repair looks like it might be new but, that phone number proves that wrong.  There haven't been phone numbers like that in many, many years.


At ground level is this piece of art that looks a bit scary.  It's been on the side of the building for many years, long before any of the recent ASU students arrived.  Someone told me that it's called "Decompression" and depicts how the skull might be opened to relieve pressure on the brain after a traumatic brain injury.  There is no sign to give further explanation or to identify an artist.

11 comments:

Mersad said...

I like the rugged rural design, and yes that piece of art is a bit spooky.

Mersad
Mersad Donko Photography

Christine said...

Glad that the great old warehouse is now housing art! The ghost sign is great but the other 'decompression' piece is weirdly out of place it seems! Intriguing!

RedPat said...

Love the old ghost signs, Sharon! I wonder if it says "Southwest Cotton Co"? It sort of looks like it may.

Halcyon said...

A bit creepy!

Thérèse said...

Very interesting, I love these signs which remind us, unfortunately, that time flies...

Judy Ryer said...

I always love to see those ghost signs. That skull sign looks like it's made of shiny metal. Or is that just bright paint?

Bill said...

Cool ghost signs, I like seeing them. The skull is interesting and kind of weird. Nice finds!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Yup I reckon it's Southwest Cotton Co. How brilliant, I wonder how old that is, and the second sign too! Ooo that mural is super creepy ☺

William Kendall said...

I do like that ghost sign.

Jack said...

It is wonderful that useful empty old buildings are getting new uses. Happening in Connecticut, too. Less often in Florida, since nothing is old there!

Kate said...

Any renovation or reuse to house art is a good idea.