Tuesday, July 23, 2013

A touch of Africa


On my way to my hiking destination on Saturday, I passed the Desert Foothills Gardens Nursery located in Cave Creek Arizona.  I was struck by the landscape around the place and made a u-turn to check it out.  I located one of the owners and asked if it was okay to take a few pictures of the unique landscape and he not only agreed but pointed out the more unusual species in the garden.  For instance, the trees are Aloe Dichotoma, native to Africa.  He said that full size trees like those in the display sell for $30,000.00 each.  Yikes!  I guess I won't get one even if they are fun to look at.

Below is a close up view.


12 comments:

Dave-CostaRicaDailyPhoto.com said...

I wonder how much they cost when they are small, and how long they would take to grow to maturity.

Kate said...

What a wonderful landscape. Almost surreal; Salvador Dali would love these photos!

I left a comment for you on my blog. So sorry that we could not have met during my trip this summer!!

Judy said...

That is an unusual tree. I wonder if it grows from seed. If so you could pick up a few from the ground and take them home and plant them. Or would that be cheating?

Lowell said...

Yikes! They're very interesting and attractive in their own way but not enough to pay $30,000 for one. You think he'd take $30 USD?

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Oh la! They are spectacular Sharon, but 30,000..I might have to pass on that as well :) Fantastic images of these unusual plants.

Karl said...

Wow Sharon, you visit such beautiful places... I'm without words.

Birdman said...

Is this truly the Tree of Life? Did Disney steal it?

RedPat said...

Oh, but wouldn't they look spectacular in your garden! They are very cool.

Jack said...

Sometimes, Sharon, you just got to do it.

Randy said...

I love Barrel Cactus! The next time Kate comes to Santa Fe we should have a Southwest Bloggers Meet Up, me, Kate, you, Judy and whoever wants to come.

Anonymous said...

Amazing looking trees and landscape!

Unknown said...

Fabulous! I'm in awe!