Thursday, September 25, 2008

Light Rail is coming

It won’t be long now before the brand new Valley Metro light rail system will be launched. The opening celebration is scheduled for December 27th and 28th. In the spring I had an opportunity to tour the maintenance facility where the cars are being assembled. In the picture above you can see the workers and equipment and some of the cars in different stages of construction.

I can’t tell you how much I am looking forward to this long overdue service. I spent a lot of time a few years back advocating this kind of service and running up against unwavering opposition from political leaders who were short-sighted and parochial in their thinking. They argued that there were not enough people in the valley to support it even though the express bus from Mesa to Phoenix was standing room only every morning while moving at a snail’s pace along the freeway. And, that was a long time before gas was $4.00 a gallon. We are very fortunate that we have new leaders who saw the need and were able to convey the urgency.

Everywhere I travel that offers light rail or ‘subway’ service, I jump at the chance to use it. You can bet that I will be celebrating on December 27th.

4 comments:

glenda said...

I am so looking forward to the light rail. It's about time.

Wayne said...

Good on you Sharon and good on Phoenix.

Anonymous said...

Just discovered your blog. Nice photos all around. I share your enthusiasm for light rail.

Randy said...

You said it Glenda, its about time. It has taken much too long for them to build the Light Rail in Phx. I was hoping to ride it at least once before leaving Phx.