Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Melinda's Alley


You might remember that back in June I posted a photo of a mural on the back of the Renaissance Hotel in downtown Phoenix called "Melinda's Alley".  The mural was named for a speakeasy type of bar that used to exist many years ago and has recently been reincarnated in the basement of the hotel.


It doesn't open until 9 PM and you have to enter through a door in the alley that is actually part of the mural.  There is a red light above the door and when it's lit, the bar is open.  When you enter, you sign in at a little desk and then descend the stairs into the basement.  That's where I saw yesterday's wonderful mural.  It's located just outside the door to the bar.


Once inside, you find a room awash in red light and full of vintage furnishings and people who have also found this secret place.  The bar only serves a very small selection of drinks that change on a regular basis.  You have to consult the chalk board to see what's being served that night.  It's quite an experience!  It felt almost decadent being there.  I loved it.

14 comments:

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Melinda's Alley is way cool Sharon, what a treat for you.. and for us ☺

biebkriebels said...

It looks cosy and very red!

Silver in AZ said...

how fun! My red-loving older daughter would adore this place!

RedPat said...

It makes one feel as if you were back in the 1920s, Sharon!
Glad the salmon was good!

Christine said...

Oh very cool place!

Lois said...

I love it too! What a find.

Judy Ryer said...

How unusual! I bet it's a fun hang out.

Steve Reed said...

I hate to be a sourpuss, but I don't think I could stand all that red light.

William Kendall said...

The red lighting makes it look very appealing!

Lowell said...

I'm thinking it probably isn't quite as "red" as it appears in the photos. Digital photography sometimes messes with colors and shades of colors. I find all the red sort of overwhelming but that wouldn't keep me away. I've love to visit the place not matter what drinks they were serving. Of course, you know what a red light over a door used to mean, and still means in Amsterdam! :))

Amy said...

I like it, it's kind of avant garde.

Bill said...

Very cool, I like it. The red lights are kind of appealing, changes your mood once you step inside.

Catalyst said...

You are truly a decadent lady, Sharon!

Thérèse said...

It looks like an adventure to go there. I can't wait to go...