Tuesday, August 22, 2017

The City's First Skyscraper


The Luhrs Tower in downtown Phoenix is the city's very first high-rise building.  It was built by George H.N. Luhrs, a Phoenix businessman and it was dedicated on April 1, 1924.

The 14-story building cost $553,000. to build.
























It's a neoclassical and art deco style with marble trim and southwestern  influences.  When it was built, the 10th floor was a penthouse with views of the city in all directions.




























  
For decades, it was the tallest building in the southwest.  It has recently gone through a thorough restoration with over ten million dollars in capital improvements.  It still offers office space to many businesses and with the light rail running right past the front door, it's an ideal location for commuters.



I love all that detailed trim in a turquoise color that runs from the ground all the way to the very top.


Tomorrow I'll take you inside the lobby for a look at the detailing there.

13 comments:

Christine said...

A magnificent original skyscraper. Your shot looking upwards is great!

Karl said...

A gorgeous building, Sharon !

Steve Reed said...

That's a fabulous building. It's nice to see some of Phoenix's more historic structures.

Halcyon said...

What a beautiful building. Too bad they don't build them like this anymore.

Lois said...

Oh wow Sharon, this is a beautiful building. I can't wait to see inside!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Love, love, love this building Sharon.. but of course you knew I would ☺ it reminds me a bit of one of my fav buildings the Gledden Building in the city.. I'm pretty excited to see inside tomorrow ☺

William Kendall said...

It is beautiful, Sharon!

RedPat said...

That was such a wonderful period in architecture! It's beautiful, Sharon!

Judy Ryer said...

I love art deco buildings!

Bill said...

A beauty of a building Sharon. I love the photo looking up, such an unique view.

Andy said...

From an era when buildings also in included mason art.

Thérèse said...

I like these descriptions of yours, so much that I never saw.

Kate said...

The building still stands out as a classic structure.