Saturday, August 26, 2017

Frida & Diego, a Return Visit


Yesterday I went back to the Heard Museum and re-visited the Frida and Diego Exhibit.  I'm so glad I did.  It was a lot less busy than when I first visited and I could leisurely read all the information and take my time enjoying the paintings.  I also learned some new things.  This painting by Rivera is of Natasha Gelman and was commissioned by her husband Jacques.  The painting depicts her reclining on a sofa in an elegant white dress with the slit in the front that seems to mimic the lilies that are behind her.



Frieda's portrait of the same woman was much more sedate with a more stern look that doesn't give off the alluring feeling that Diego's portrait does.




























Also in the exhibit was this portrait of Jacques Gelman by Angel Zarraga.  Gelman was a wealthy film maker in Mexico who was born in Russia.  He and his wife were among a small group of collectors who supported modern Mexican artists by commissioning works and purchasing other works directly from the artist's studios.  When they passed away (Jacques in 1986 and Natasha in 1998) they left behind what is considered to be one of the finest collections of Mexican art.

12 comments:

Christine said...

The first painting is captivating!

Kate said...

I prefer Diego's top photo. There is a lushness about it that is very sexual.

William Kendall said...

What a difference between Diego and Frieda's takes!

Judy Ryer said...

I like all of them but that first one is so lovely. The arm reaching into the portrait of Gelman is interesting.

RedPat said...

I wonder if that is the same show that was here a while ago. I think it may be and it was wonderful!

Bill said...

It's interesting to see the difference in styles between Frieda and Diego. I like them both, it's some beautiful art.

Amy said...

I like the first one, it's sort of a mixture of erotic and classy at the same time.

Steve Reed said...

I seem to remember the Gelmans from the movie....I think.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

It always amazes me that two artists can make a subject look so completely different Sharon, I think Frieda was slightly fixated on strong eyebrows ☺

Bob Crowe said...

I could swear the middle picture is of Eva Peron.

Karl said...

Beautiful portraits !

Thérèse said...

So interesting to see both versions of the same woman!