Sunday, August 27, 2017

Frida and Self-Portraiture


Frida Kahlo created 150 works and 65 of them were self-portraits.  All of the self-portraits in this collection were part of the Gelman collection that I mentioned yesterday and they were among Natasha Gelman's most prized possessions.

This one was painted in 1943 and shows Frida with monkeys who embrace her affectionately.





















This one was painted in 1941 showing Frida with her hair up and wearing a gold and red dress.
































This one was painted in 1937 and is called "Me and My Doll".

I'm so glad I returned to this exhibit before it leaves at the end of August.  I'm equally happy that it was quiet enough to let me read all the information.


I have a new post on Sharon's Sojourns today.  I'm visiting a place with spectacular views and art everywhere.

8 comments:

Steve Reed said...

As I'm sure I mentioned before, I love Frida Kahlo's paintings. Time to watch the movie "Frida" again!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Incredible to see Sharon, I really hope this exhibition comes to Perth.

William Kendall said...

I would enjoy viewing her works.

Judy Ryer said...

Thanks for sharing!

RedPat said...

Fabulous, Sharon!

Lois said...

Beautiful woman and artist.

Bob Crowe said...

I like her work. We visited her and Diego Rivera's home in Mexico City once. C and I will be busy when we are in town next month and I don't know if we will get to see this.

Thérèse said...

Always interested in Frida Kahlo's paintings; They inspired so many people all over the world.