Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Figurative Sculpture



I'm going to end the merry Month of May with a whimsical figurative sculpture of a woman holding (of all things) a urinal.

It begs the question 'why', doesn't it?

Well, I can't answer that question.  It's a mystery.























This sculpture is in front of The Fountain Apartments, an older apartment complex right in the heart of Phoenix.  There is no name for the piece and no artist credit.  The curly headed lady just sits there day and night holding on to her porcelain treasure.

I suppose it might be a welcome sight to someone staggering home after a late night at the bars and clubs.

"You can make it.  You're almost to your door!"

14 comments:

Billy Blue Eyes said...

This one perplexed me I must admit

Mersad said...

Very unusual, but definitively an eye catcher.

Mersad
Mersad Donko Photography

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Made me laugh Sharon 😀 There just has to be a story there 😀

Christine said...

What an odd piece! I'm sure many have enjoyed a laugh at her & her 'treasure'!

Lowell said...

Too funny! Methinks she pissed off her husband and is offering him some relief! :)

Judy Ryer said...

That is just weird! Maybe the apartment manager could enlighten us about the meaning behind it.

TJ Davis said...

Oh I want it Sharon, that is so wonderful. That is my kind of art. I would sit her by my front door.
:)

Steve Reed said...

Here's my guess: The complex is called the Fountain Apartments, and Marcel Duchamp made a famous work of art called "Fountain" out of a urinal in 1917. The sculpture must allude to the Duchamp piece. Don't you think?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fountain_(Duchamp)

I'm not sure where the woman comes from, though!

Mo said...

I couldn't agree more. Why??

William Kendall said...

Okay, that's weird!

Bill said...

Some things in life just don't have answers and this is one of them. I think Steve Reed could be on to something. Nice find Sharon.

RedPat said...

Very odd indeed!

Lois said...

It is a little strange. I guess the question could also be "why not?"

Iris Flavia said...

Wow, that is some art! I kinda like it.