Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Cactus Blooms & A Scotsman


I caught a few cactus blooms when I was at the garden last Sunday.  This Saguaro bloom was just above eye level so it was a good opportunity to get a nice close up view.



This toothpick cactus had only two or three blooms on it but this one was standing up and reaching for the sky.






























And, you just never know who you might run into at the botanical garden.  This fellow was performing background music for a private memorial service near the herb garden.  A fellow playing the bagpipes is not a common sight in these parts!

10 comments:

Lowell said...

I notice he's well-kilted, too! Beautiful blooms. I'll bet most people don't realize that cacti bloom like that.

Steve Reed said...

Those cactus flower photos are beautiful. I love the one of the saguaro blossom. Frame-worthy! As for the kilted bagpiper, I feel right at home. :) (Well, OK, I'm in England, but close enough!)

Kate said...

Very few blossoms can rival the beauty of a cactus flower in full bloom. In St. Paul, Macalester College often has bagpipers at funeral and memorial services in the campus chapel--a mournful but lovely sound for the occasion.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Always enjoy seeing your cactus blooms Sharon, so exotic! I'm a big fan of the bagpipes also, always make me a bit sentimental and teary. We had a piper at both mum dad's funeral services..

Christine said...

Fabulous cactus bloom, Sharon, so glad you took a photo of it for us!
I admire anyone who can play bagpipes- I tried & it was so hard!

William Kendall said...

What lovely blooms!

LOLfromPasa said...

The cactus does well to produce stunning flowers. I had to smile when I saw the last photo. Lovely!

Halcyon said...

Such a beautiful blossom!

Bill said...

The cacti blossoms are very pretty

Lois said...

Those are beautiful blooms Sharon, especially the first one. Love seeing the bagpipes!