Friday, January 29, 2016

Inside a Great House


Continuing from yesterday's post, today I'll show you the interior of the David and Gladys Wright House.  Above is the living area.  The owner who saved it from demolition is Zachary Rawlings and he has done an outstanding job of bringing the home back to life.  Much of the original furnishings had been given to museums across the country so new ones needed to be constructed.  Even that gorgeous carpet was recreated in the original design.


The master bedroom was located at the very end of the home in that circular area that is cantilevered out.  The headboard for the bed was built right into the wall (where that photo is located) so that the bed was positioned for maximum views.


Here is a close-up of the photo so you can see the position of the bed in this room.


This is one of the guest bedrooms with windows facing the west. 


Here is a photo of the kitchen.  The stove was behind me as the wall curved around.

To bring things full circle, Sarah Levi, the great-great granddaughter of Frank Lloyd Wright is now the Scholar in Residence.  So the home is still occupied by a member of the Wright family while being open to the public for tours that are scheduled by reservation.  

I for one am hoping that Mr. Rawlings plans to turn the property into a cultural and educational center are fulfilled.  He is currently drawing some heated opposition from some area residents who are worried about noise and traffic.  Mr. Rawlings is working very hard to create something that will benefit everyone and preserve an incredible historic structure with as little neighborhood disruption as possible. 

16 comments:

LOLfromPasa said...

Bravo, Mr Rawlings. I hope he meets with success. It is a beautiful, historic home that deserves to be shared. Thank you for these wonderful photographs, Sharon.

Steve Reed said...

Truly spectacular. I'm glad Rawlings is so public-minded about his conservation plans. The house seems every bit as incredible as Fallingwater, which I've seen and which is also accessible to the public for tours. I love that round kitchen window!

VP said...

Absolutely spectacular and at the same time it looks quite comfortable...

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Oh wow! It doesn't disappoint inside Sharon, fabulous and it deserves to be seen. I can't imagine there would be hoards of people visiting at the same time to disturb neighbours.

Kate said...

Rawlings should be honoured for foresight and dedication. This is a dazzling home and how fortunate to have been pressured and restored. And, how lucky you are to have been given the opportunity to explore the residence!

Kate said...

Should be "preserved and restored!"

Lowell said...

Thanks, Sharon! I love this house and would guess there are some sensations about it you don't get unless you see it in person. Hopefully, Mr. Rawlings' dream comes true and it will bring additional joy to the area!

William Kendall said...

Saving it was the ideal thing to do. What a beautiful house!

Mike@Bit About Britain said...

That's pretty impressive!

Catalyst said...

It is an amazing house but it doesn't appear to me to be a very comfortable living space. At least not for me.

cieldequimper said...

Oooooh I love it! I'd have to change a few things of course... ;-)

RedPat said...

This is so wonderful, Sharon! Thanks for showing it to us!

Jack said...

Very impressive, Sharon. Thanks for showing it to us. I hate being so practical, but when I look at something so unique, I always think it must be horrible whenever something breaks and needs to be replaced. Home Depot doesn't carry an inventory of stuff for homes like this.

Lois said...

It is fabulous Sharon! I'm so glad it was saved and the owner has done a wonderful job restoring it. You may recall that I showed a FLW house on my blog about a year ago that happens to be located about a mile from where I live. It is called Spring House and has a similar curved kitchen like the one in your picture. Your post has reminded me that I need to go back and see what kind of progress has been made on the restoration since my last visit!

Halcyon said...

I really love this interior. Sometimes houses look great from the outside, but aren't really practical inside. FLW was good at making sure both practicality and beauty went into his designs.

Jens Hamn said...

the stone that are apparent in the house are beautiful!