Monday, May 25, 2015

Memorial Day


Today is Memorial Day here in the United States so I'm featuring this Vietnam Memorial located in the plaza near the state capitol.  It was created by Jasper d'Ambrosi in 1985 and is titled "The Fallen Warrior".  It sits on it's own platform in the park and it appears someone has added the American flag to it especially for the holiday.



A map of Vietnam is embedded in the platform pavement near the memorial.


I hope all of my American readers are enjoying the Memorial Day holiday.  We are having perfect weather for many outdoor activities.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

A very real tribute, outstanding.

cieldequimper said...

Beautiful.

It's a holiday here too!!! But it's Pentecost. :-)

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Happy Memorial Day Sharon, excellent tribute post.. I think the flag is a super touch.

Thérèse said...

The flag makes it even more accurate.

Kate said...

Happy to see so many bloggers honoring Memorial Day.

Lowell said...

That was such a terrible and unnecessary war. And those involved were never given their due. When I was teaching, I brought Vietnam vets into the classroom once a year to discuss their experiences. This is a very fine memorial.

Judy said...

So many of our war memorials are heart wrenching. I've never seen this one before.

RedPat said...

That's a good one, Sharon!

Catalyst said...

Nice find.

Randy said...

Nice statue.

William Kendall said...

Quite a powerful memorial.

Billy Blue Eyes said...

What an amazing Memorial. Hope you had a good weekend

Karl said...

Happy Memorial Day, Sharon !
I like the statue !

Kathy said...

I've always loved this piece of art. I'm glad you've reminded me of it on this Memorial Day (even though I'm a couple of days late!)