Thursday, September 8, 2011

Too many fingers


The pads of a prickly pear cactus (nopals) sometimes remind me of hands and the fruit (tuna) as fingers.  This one has way too many fingers!  I count 14 tuna on this nopal.  Maybe that's why it's hanging so close to the ground.
Many of you asked yesterday about the fruit and how it's eaten.  It is mostly made into candy and jellies but, it can be used for other things too.  I have a bottle of prickly pear syrup that I use to add sweetness to drinks or sauces.  I can't really describe the taste other than a fruity sweetness.  Rabbits, birds, and other small animals also love the fruit.

15 comments:

Dave-CostaRicaDailyPhoto.com said...

Today you have taught me another new word: nopal. If the tuna get so heavy tha thte nopal breaks off, you can just stick it in the ground or a pot and it will grow a new plant.

Kathy said...

I sorta think it looks like a head with ringlets of hair!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

So it's a sweet taste that you get from the cactus tuna, it really is the most extraordinary looking thing! I love to learn something new everyday Sharon, so thanks.

Jude said...

In Mexico, my cousins froze tuna and we ate it straight from the freezer.

Jack said...

I am getting an education about cactus terminology and use this week. Thanks, Sharon.

Judy said...

This one is an over achiever.

Anonymous said...

They remind me of radishes.

Cool picture!

RedPat said...

I thought of radishes too but obviously much sweeter!

Magpie said...

This is an amazing shot! I agree. They look like stubby little fingers.

Regina K said...

These do look like radishes. I love this close up.

Randy said...

Ooo and now I am craving Nopales and Eggs oh and bacon of course.

Rob said...

Simply lovely! I have had cactus jelly in the past - wondering if this is were is came from.

T. Becque said...

You're right! I don' know if I've seen one that full before!

Unknown said...

What a gorgeous detail! I don't see this species here, all fruits are orange, but I remember quite well nopal being sold at Mexican markets..

Teresa said...

I love this shot. I love prickly pears. I love Arizona.....need I say more.