Monday, August 23, 2010

9/11 Memorial

This is a portion of the 9/11 Memorial located in the Wesley Bolin Plaza in front the Arizona State Capitol. It consists of a concrete disc topped by a ring of steel. Phrases have been laser cut into the steel so that the reflections appear on the concrete and can be read. This memorial created huge outcry in Arizona over some of the quotes that some people thought were unpatriotic. The intent of the memorial was to express the wide range of views that Americans have about the attacks the US response to it. Personally, I find the memorial quite moving.

8 comments:

Dave-CostaRicaDailyPhoto.com said...

What could e more American than the expression of a wide variety of views with which some people disagree?

Life Is A Road Trip said...

I have never been there, but I do remember all the hoopla when they built it. I agree with Dave, too.

Birdman said...

What were some of the quotes that bothered them????

glenda said...

The cutouts make this so interesting. Very beautiful.

Magpie said...

Such a smart use of our nature sunlight here in Arizona. I agree with Dave also...differences make us stronger.

Judy said...

I want to see this when the weather is cooler.

Randy said...

I liked it. People are never happy. I am surprised it hasn't been torn down.

Unknown said...

This is so clever! I'm also intrigued by the controversial phrases...