Sunday, July 19, 2009

Historic Districts

Phoenix has 35 designated residential historic districts. The city protects the integrity of these neighborhoods by reviewing all requests for exterior alterations and additions. There are also financial assistance programs available to help offset the cost of improvements and general maintenance. Rehabilitation training and educational activities are offered by the city’s historic preservation office.

Today’s photo is of a working fire station that is located in the Willo Historic District. Each spring, the Willo Historic District sponsors a home tour and a number of the homes are open for the public to tour. This fire station is always open during that event and inside you can see historic photos and a display of fire-fighting tools. This station is the oldest fire station still under the Phoenix Fire Department’s ownership.
The small photo shows the sign in front of the station that identifies it.


Over the next few days, I’ll show you some of the homes in these historic neighborhoods.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is nice that the city does this to maintain itself and its character. Here, there is a lot of objections to it and not many communities have the backbone or elected officials willing to tolerate the abuse having such ordinances brings.

Anyway, I like the picture you posted. Neat.

Now, you and your friends can help me Make History. I am trying to see if it is possible to get 10,000 visitors in a short period of time on my new blog, Pick a Peck of Pixels. If you go there, please either become a ollower or leave a comment. Your visit will count and help me Make History. Pick a Peck of Pixels

Judy said...

I wouldn't have thought it was a fire station! Very nice. I know I'm going to enjoy seeing the houses that you post.

Unknown said...

I'm aware of the Firemen Headquarters, but I've never heard of a fire station before... As far as I understood, it's a kind of a museum right? The building is lovely.

Sharon said...

JM, Fire "stations" are what we call the building that houses the fire fighters. The stations or buildings are located all over town so that if there is a fire, the nearest unit responds. This one is part museum and part working station. It does contain one fire truck that can respond when needed. However, it's more likely that a bigger station or unit would respond to a fire alarm.

Unknown said...

So, even in this nice small house there is a unit ready to respond in case of alarm. Thank you for the explanation, Sharon. I was confused because we don't have these small units here (I think...)