Saturday, September 6, 2008

“Resistance is futile”

Only readers who are fans of Star Trek will understand the reference of my title. This sculpture is located inside the main entrance to the Burton Barr Central Library and I have to admit the first thing I thought of when I saw it was “The Borg”. This sculpture is actually by the very well know Italian artist Arnaldo Pomodoro and there is a reason it has a science fiction look. At the start of the age of space exploration, Pomodoro became preoccupied with the advance of technology. Of this sculpture and others like it he says “in these sculptures I sense the discovery and the drama of technological exploration and its powers. I interpret my surface erosions and irregularities as symbols of the destructive impulse.” His sculptures can be seen all over the world including the Vatican Museums, which somehow seems out of place to me.

2 comments:

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

Very interesting sculpture piece. (even if I don't get the reference).

Layrayski said...

Very interesting piece. But instead of starwars it reminds me of Transformers. =)