Just last June, the Phoenix Art Museum received and incredible gift of 185 paintings from the William P Healey Collection. It is the largest gift of Native American art to the museum in its 65+ year history. Healey was an life-long collector of art with a special interest in western art. He developed his collection in "close consultation with Tony Abeyta" and that partnership ensured that cultural insight guided the collections. The museum recently opened an exhibit of 70 of those works of art. The painting above is called "Celebration from the Underworld" and was painted by Tony Abeyta in 1998-99. I love Abeyta's work and have featured a few of his paintings on my blog before. You can see two of them here and here.
Many of the artists featured in this exhibit are known to me from my frequent visits to the Heard Museum. The one to the left is by Harry Fonseca and was painted in the 1980's. It's called "Coyote Chief with Pink Clouds". I did a post about Fonseca a few years ago here.
This last piece is by Kay WalkingStick and is called "Winter Passage". It was painted in 2017. I posted about Kay WalkingStick back in March here and again in January here.
These three artist were familiar to me but I was very impressed by some others not so familiar. I'll post some photos of those work tomorrow.



3 comments:
Wow...all three pieces are stunning in their own way. I love the layers and symbolism in the first piece, the colors and the whimsy in the second (the purple tennis shoes!), and the tranquility of the third.
I need a museum day.
I like them all, Sharon.
Post a Comment