Monday, April 3, 2017

Honeybees vs Bumblebees


I caught two different kinds of pollinators working their magic at the Desert Botanical Garden this weekend.  This busy honeybee was checking out these prickly pear blooms.  I don't blame the little fellow, those are three gorgeous cactus flowers.


This bumblebee and a friend who escaped my camera were working on the ocotillo blooms.  We humans tend to like the honeybees more than the bumblebees but, they both play an important role in plant pollination.


All of the ocotillo in the garden were looking very pretty with their red blooms at the top of those long arms.  No wonder those bees were attracted to them.

11 comments:

Steve Reed said...

I love ocotillo. Such a beautiful plant. And I love ANY kind of bee! We have huge, bumbling bumblebees here that occasionally bumble their way into the house and require help getting back outside again.

Christine said...

Amazing shots of the bees hard at work! i love seeing the desert blossom as these are plants I don't see everyday!

Lowell said...

Fantastic shots. You bee very good with the camera!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Your Desert Botanical Gardens must be especially fabulous at this time of the year Sharon, I would love to visit. Those very important little bees will be in pollen heaven!

RedPat said...

You are right - we need all of these wee creatures!

Catalyst said...

Bee-youtiful pictures!

Judy said...

Great catches!

Lois said...

Wonderful closeups of the bees!

Kate said...

The top photo is rich in colour and detail. After seeing all your gorgeous photos from your Desert Botanical Garden over these past few years, I was astounded to read an article in our Sunday Star Tribune, "Arboretum voted best in the U.S. (http://www.startribune.com/minnesota-arb-voted-best-botanical-garden-in-u-s/417809763/) I have lived here for decade and despite its beautiful description from friends who love it, I have never ventured out to it, primarily because it is about 45minutes from here. After reading the article, I must now take a trip or two to see if I can get some photos that can match some of yours. Your botanical garden was in the top 10 as number one. An interesting article; hope you have time to read it.

Kate said...

it should read: I've lived herz' for decadesz' plus your garden is " number four. " I push that comment key too quickly sometimes.

William Kendall said...

They need all the help we can give them.