Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Frida and Diego


Last Friday I went to the Heard Museum to see the new exhibit Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera.  I'm going to make a point to go back sometime this summer after the winter visitors have gone because it was extremely crowded and I think I missed a lot because of that.  I patiently waited for a break in the crowds to snap this photo of some of Frida's clothes.  I heard a guide say that she wore a lot of loose and boxy tops to hide the cast she had to wear under her clothes because of her back injury.



They had quite a few original works of art from both Frida and Diego.  I liked this one titled "Diego on my Mind" from 1943.































And then I saw this photograph of Frida working on that same (or a similar) painting with Diego looking on.































Among the works of Diego Rivera was this painting that almost everyone will recognize.  It has been reprinted numerous times.

I'll go back later this summer and spend more time looking at all the pieces on display.

10 comments:

Steve Reed said...

What a great exhibit! I'd love to see that. Did you ever see the movie "Frida"? Terrific film.

Kate said...

Oh, yes! Do go back and show us more photos. You did a wonderful job selecting some representative paintings of those two. I discovered them years ago when our library used to check out framed art prints, and I was captivated by this mercurial couple. I imagine they are partly responsible for my love of México.

Lowell said...

I feel really out of the loop having never heard of these people or their work. Most interesting, however. Thanks for sharing.

Christine said...

I'm afraid these wonderful artists have escaped my notice until now! Thank you for remedying my lack of knowledge!

William Kendall said...

From everything I've heard of them, both were real characters.

Judy said...

You got some good shots despite the crowds.

Bill said...

A wonderful exhibition. I saw a documentary on Frida a few years ago, such an incredible artist and person.

Lois said...

I love seeing her clothes! Too bad about the crowds, but I'm glad you will be able to go back.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Fascinating exhibition Sharon, they were a talented pair. Whenever I see exhibitions like this I really hope they make their way to Perth at some point 😊

RedPat said...

That's a show I would like to see!