Monday, January 9, 2017

Being Inspired


At the Phoenix Art Museum last Friday, I got off the elevator to the Contemporary Art gallery and saw these two girls admiring one of my favorite pieces at the gallery.  It's a digital projection of a tree that sort of blows in the wind.  It sways back and forth gracefully as it changes colors for the four seasons.  It's by artist Jennifer Steinkamp and it's called Mike Kelley 13, in honor of one of her teachers.


One of the girls became inspired to move in sort of ballet-like movements along with the tree.  It was a beautiful sight.  When she heard my camera click she turned and was a bit embarrassed but I said "please continue, it's beautiful" so she did.  Isn't that what an art museum is all about?  Inspiring people, making them feel something, making them think...those should be the goals of any good museum.  It's why I go to museums in whatever city I happen to be visiting.  There is always something to inspire me.


I took this photo way back in 2010.  I thought I had posted it before but, it looks like I didn't.  I just loved the way this gentleman was admiring the tree.  It's exactly what I do almost every time I visit the museum.  I always pause to watch the tree move.

11 comments:

Steve Reed said...

What an interesting projection, and an interesting reaction to it. The artist would be pleased to see the woman reacting that way, I think.

Remind me again -- how do you archive your photos? It's impressive that you can go back to 2010 and pull out exactly the shot you want. (I keep mine on Flickr, which lets me do the same thing, but it's always a challenge to keep thousands of shots organized!)

PerthDailyPhoto said...

I couldn't agree more Sharon, museums and art galleries are two of my favourite destinations. The seasonal tree is a wonderful long time feature, I can see why it's so popular, kind of entices one to interact 😊

Christine said...

I love the tree & the perspective of your first photo!
Most inspiring Sharon!

Karl said...

Interesting...

Lowell said...

This is another example of the vibrant art culture you have in Phoenix. It is a beautiful project and I can imagine it waving in the breeze and changing colors. Thanks for your comment on Ocala. You do like to get out and about and I think all of us on CDP are grateful for that because you continually provide such wondrous photographs!

Judy said...

This is an inspiring post!

William Kendall said...

I can see how that would inspire the idea of interacting with the art.

RedPat said...

I really like the whole concept of this, Sharon!

Lois said...

What an interesting piece Sharon and I love that you captured other people enjoying it!

Jack said...

Yes, yes, yes. I love to see other museum-goers studying and interacting with the art. It makes the artists' efforts seem more worthwhile.

Thérèse said...

Very calming.