Saturday, September 17, 2016

An Unidentified Sculpture


When I was driving around in the south Phoenix industrial/business park area, I came across a sculpture that literally stopped my in my tracks.  For one thing, it's huge!  For another it's amazing.  The sad part is, I can't find any information on it.


I went into a couple of businesses near by hoping someone would know something about it but no luck.  


I did an exhaustive search on the internet typing all sorts of combinations of descriptions, no luck.


I even tried the City of Phoenix public arts list with no luck

If you happen to be a local reader and you know something about this sculpture please leave a comment or email me.  I'd love to know who to give credit for this fantastic piece.  It's located on University Drive and Elwood which is around 32nd street.  It is an amazing sight to see in person.

P.S.  One of my readers found the info on this sculpture.  It's called "Tryst Marker" by Fred Borcherdt who is based in Tucson.  It's made of steel and is administered by the Southbank Property Owners Association!  Thanks Jim!

7 comments:

Stefan Jansson said...

It sure is huge, it will be interesting to see if you can find out who the artist was.

Christine said...

It does indeed seem to be a mammoth sculpture and how strange there's no info about it!

Judy said...

It sure looks like one that I saw once somewhere in Texas. It was on a campus but I can't remember which town. I can see why it would stop you in your tracks.

William Kendall said...

It is eye catching. I've seen art here that lacks labels or credits.

RedPat said...

What a shame, Sharon! Maybe if you could find a link to the architect of the building there might be some info there.

Steve Reed said...

Interesting piece! I'm glad someone got the background info for you. Funny how there's no plaque or marker to tell people anything about it!

Jack said...

I like its boldness and strength. Marking the spot of a tryst? Someone must have had a VERY good time on that spot!