Friday, October 11, 2013

More of those highway pots


I recently found two more of those "highway pots" that I told you all about years ago.  It was part of a public art project in conjunction with the building of a freeway through the heart of town and it created a lot of controversy and was the constant butt of jokes at the time.  You can read the story in my post of back in September of 2008 and you can see more photos of other pots in a post I made in October of 2008.  I found these two recently.


I hadn't seen these before. I bet newcomers to Phoenix stumble on these every now and then and wonder why they are there.

10 comments:

Dave-CostaRicaDailyPhoto.com said...

I remember when they first put up the freeway pots. They caused traffic jams as people slowed down to look at them.

One person took a toilet, painted it gold, and stuck it up on top of the freeway wall, presumably as a protest to the art.

Unknown said...

I like the one above the tunnel entrance.

Lowell said...

I remember one crazy newspaper in Phoenix. Owned by Goldwater! When a new, more liberal newspaper started up, Goldwater warned he would disallow any company from advertising in his paper if they advertised in the new paper.

The new paper didn't make it.

It's nice to see that Phoenix may have gone to pot but that's a lot better than it used to be! :))

Judy said...

I have mixed feelings about them. They are attractive though and better than billboards to look at. We have some nice looking ones on our new interchange. Now I'm wondering how you got these pictures.

RedPat said...

There seems to be more acceptance of public art projects these days!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Public art is fabulous as long as it doesn't distract drivers I guess. I'm with JM I like the second one best. Bet you were surprised to come across these Sharon.

Anonymous said...

Very unusual, that's for sure!

M. said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Randy said...

Glad to see they are still around.

Jack said...

I am a fan of public art, but the sponsors need to be wise about where it is placed and who the artists are.