Sunday, September 8, 2013

The Superstition Mountains


While I was in the Apache Junction area I decided to see if I could find the Mining Camp restaurant a place I've been to a few times but, not in a very long time.  I was happy see it's still there; closed for the summer season but preparing to open in few weeks.  It's located close to the end of this road and very close to the base of the Superstition MountainsThose mountains are widely known for the old stories about the Lost Dutchman's Gold Mine never found to this day.  The Mining Camp restaurant is one of those theme places where you dine in a huge mess hall just the way the old time miner's would, on tin plates and with tin cups.  There is always lots of bar-b-que and baked beans and corn bread.  It's one of those places where the food isn't memorable but the atmosphere is.  It sure sits in a great setting perched right below those spectacular mountains.

I have a new post on Sharon's Sojourns today.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fantastic, just how I imagine it would look!

Stefan Jansson said...

Such a great landscape (and photo), nothing like it in my area.

Karl said...

Beautiful photo, Sharon. You did good to include also the street and not only the mountains.

Mersad said...

Interesting photo, and interesting story to go with it.

Mersad
Mersad Donko Photography

Andy said...

This is a neat shot. I hope someone was watching your back when you were on the road taking this photo.

Unknown said...

Great perspective from the road! I really like the composition, Sharon.

Dave-CostaRicaDailyPhoto.com said...

When flying east from Phoenix you sometimes get a nice view of the Superstitions from a different perspective.

Birdman said...

Amazing. Closed for the summer season. It's the opposite here... "See you next Spring".

Judy said...

I Always love to see those mountains. I see you were out in the middle of the road again. Not much traffic, I guess.

Thérèse said...


As if we were there with you on the road...

glenda said...

This is such a beautiful and rugged mountain range which goes on for miles. I used to life quite close to the base and never tired of its beauty.

Randy said...

My favorites!

Jack said...

Wonderful place to take the photo. But, quick! Get out of the street!

Kate said...

The restaurant sounds like a fun theme place!

Melissa said...

Terrific framing of this shot!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

fantastic! I love the legends of Superstitious Mountain..I wonder if that mother lode is still unfound :)