Thursday, September 12, 2013

Skyline


Last Friday, before the rainy weather arrived I took a drive around the foothills of South Mountain on the southern edge of Phoenix.  At one point I had this nice view of the downtown skyline through the haze and, I suspect, a fair amount of air pollution.  It was a very hot day and when I zoomed in on this photo I could see a bit of that wavy heat distortion too.

See that small white tiered building just left of the center of this photo?  At one time in our history, that was one of the tallest buildings in downtown Phoenix.

By the way, no more rain on Wednesday after all and now the temperatures are creeping back up into the triple digits.  It was nice while it lasted.

12 comments:

Thérèse said...

Such a great view Sharon which could have been even hazier. I don't remember what was in this building. Art Deco style?

Andy said...

That original building looks so small compared to today's standard.

Dave-CostaRicaDailyPhoto.com said...

Last Friday was weird weather. When I left the office a little after 5:00 it was 108. After a downpour 15 minutes later the temperature was 72.

I normally see the Phoenix skyline from thee east while driving to work, in my office from the north, a few times from the west, but I rarely see it from the south as you have shown today.

Anonymous said...

The small white building as certainly been dwarfed by all the others that have sprung up around it over the years. Great panorama, love the distant mountains too!

Lowell said...

I don't even recognize the skyline anymore! Phoenix has grown up in more ways than one. Lovely photo!

Cooler weather will be coming! I hope!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Super shot Sharon, it really is amazing to see how skylines change and grow over the years. Hope the hot weather doesn't last too long.

Judy said...

Great skyline shot, Sharon! I can remember when the skyline from South Mountain looked nothing like it does now.

Karl said...

Beautiful view, I like the green in the foreground.

Jack said...

It was 96 yesterday in Hartford and I thought people were going to go insane. Triple digits? You are so calm about it.

Kate said...

I wish that the small white building was still the tallest building in Phoenix. Too bad there isn't a code for the heights of the buildings.

Randy said...

I love the view from there.

Unknown said...

Awesome view, especially because of the mountains in the background. Just like Santiago and the Andes on a smaller scale.