Thursday, January 15, 2009

Optical Illusion

This photo was taken inside the Hanny’s restaurant/bar that I featured yesterday. I loved the illusion created by the view out the window against the mirrored wall and the reflection created. I could see approaching cars and pedestrians disappear in the mirror and reappear out the window. It was fun to watch.

This window vs. mirror illusion is not the only optical illusion to be found inside Hanny’s, the new owners have opened an old elevator shaft with mirrors one floor below the bar and on the ceiling three stories above the bar. Guests then stand on the Plexiglas floor at the bar level and enjoy the feeling of being suspended somewhere in between.

Another illusion is created upstairs where a mirrored and angled hallway leads to a brightly lit circular room lined with doors without doorknobs that lead to the restroom facilities. Needless to say, making the first trip to the restroom should be done before the second glass of wine.



The owners are known for their innovative décor and fantastic food. They own other very popular restaurants, Elsa’s on the Park in Milwaukee, Bar 89 in New York, and AZ88 in Scottsdale. AZ88 is a favorite of mine serving my all-time favorite hamburger. I wasn’t able to find a web site for Hanny’s. It’s probably in development.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Think I'd like to sit here for sometime with a cup of coffee or a glass of wine.

Irina said...

I used to like this game when I was a child: you look at both window and its reflection as you travel by train, and you may get the illusion of moving in the opposite direction.

Dave-CostaRicaDailyPhoto.com said...

Even though Phoenix is the nation's 5th or 6th largest city and the Valley has around 4 million people, this looks more urban and "hip" than I would expect to experience in Phoenix.

This new place is only one block from Symphony Hall and two blocks from the Herberger Theater, and looks to be a good place to meet friends before or after the Symphony or theater,

Sharon said...

Excellent idea Dave. I'll have to remember that.

Debbie Courson Smith said...

I'd like to try that place for lunch.

Marcel said...

Looks like a great place to have a coffee! I love optical illusions, and to puzzle about it. There is a castle build with optical illusion close by, I want to do an entry on it one day! (http://www.haarzuilens.net/foto1.html)

Regards from Marcel

marie6 said...

Looks like a nice place for a meeting with friends!

Laurie Allee said...

What a splendid photo, Sharon. I would love to check out that elevator shaft!