Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Mothers & Daughters

I recently saw a fantastic exhibit at the Heard Museum called Mothers & Daughters: Stories in Clay. It was an exhibit of beautiful clay works created by Native American female artists and their equally artistic daughters. Clay comes from the earth and is considered to be the “ultimate mother” in the Native American culture.
The two pieces I’ve featured here are by the same artist, Rose B Simpson born in 1983. The one on the left is entitled “Self Portrait” and the one on the right is called “To Fill That Hole”. Both pieces were featured at the entrance to the exhibit as seen in the small photo. All of the pieces in the exhibit were quite beautiful and spiritual in nature.
Tomorrow I’ll show you another of my favorite pieces from this exhibit. I wish I could show them all to you.

10 comments:

Julie ScottsdaleDailyPhoto.com said...

contemporary Native American art and very profund

Dave-CostaRicaDailyPhoto.com said...

The Heard Museum is wonderful, and this looks like an intriguing exhibit. The Heard's giant Indian market is coming up soon, with hundreds of Native American artists selling their creations.

angela said...

These really are beautiful pieces. They appear to stand quite tall or am I mistaken?

Anonymous said...

Kate here from the Heard, we're glad you loved the exhibit,we do too. Most of the artists also sell their work in our Shop and Berlin Gallery!

Judy said...

I'm so glad we went there with you, I would have missed this exhibit otherwise. The picture turned out great with no flash too. We enjoyed out time with you.

marcinko said...

These are quite striking and haunting.

Unknown said...

Very interesting works!
In Peru and Bolivia they call Mother Earth/Universe, 'Pachamama', a name I never forgot.

Sharon said...

Angela, you are right, they were about 4 feet tall, maybe even 4 1/2 feet.
JM, I will remember that name too. Thanks for adding it.
Kate from the Heard, thanks for comment. I might add for my readers that the shop has incredibly beautiful things inside is not to be missed.

Jilly said...

Such beautiful work and so original. They are pieces that really make you think - knowing we are talking mothers and daughters! And beautifully photographed.

glenda said...

Since you can't show them all you have motivated me to go and see them for myself. Thanks