Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Lois Grunow Memorial Clinic

This clinic is named for Lois Anita Grunow who died in 1929 at the age of seven. Her parents, owners of a successful manufacturing company, donated the money to build the clinic in her honor. It is a Spanish Colonial Revival building with a distinctive entrance façade of elaborate stone carvings. It is located across the street from one of the major hospitals in Phoenix, Good Samaritan Hospital which was the largest hospital in the city at the time the clinic was built.

One note of interest for this building is that Winnie Ruth Judd, the infamous “trunk murderess” worked as a medical secretary in this building at the time of those grisly murders. There is a very interesting book about Winnie Ruth Judd written by local writer Jana Boomersbach. As in most of these historic high-profile crimes, all things are not as they first seem.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

This is an amazing entrance! Beautiful!

Dave-CostaRicaDailyPhoto.com said...

Thank you for the information about the Lois Grunow Clinic. My wife was born in Good Samaritan Hospital across the street, and I spent four days there myself a few years back.

Judy said...

That is a magnificent entrance to the building. Looks like it should be something other than a clinic.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that looks really grand to be a clinic.

Mo said...

What did Lois die of? I assume the clinic her parents fund is tied up with the illness she had.

Sharon said...

Mo, I couldn't find any information on what she died of. The clinic seems to have doctors with a variety of specialties.

glenda said...

David's comment brought back memories. Winnie Ruth, wow I learn something new every day. Thanks

Susie of Arabia said...

That detail on the entrance is amazing. And what an interesting story about Winnie working there!!! Kinda creepy!

Anonymous said...

Lois was my mother's cousin. She died of complications following a ruptured appendix. It is indeed a beautiful building and even more so in person!

Anonymous said...

Back in 1986 I worked for Edwards Investments who used to own that building. I used to collect rent from the doctors and I thought the building was awesome, but it did creep me out at night by myself. Especially the old morgue in the basement (at the time was the maintenance office), our maintenance guy locked me in the basement til I cried. I live in vernal, utah now with my husband and grandkids and kids, it's amazing how time flys. I was 18 when I worked for Bob Edwards.