Sunday, December 15, 2019

Yosemite Depicted on an iPad


There is a new exhibit at the Heard Museum called David Hockney's Yosemite and Masters of California Basketry.  I was intrigued by the combination of these two vastly different types of artistic expression.  The museum explains how Yosemite has been inspiring to Hockney since his very first visit back in the 1980's.  Native Americans have been inspired by the same place for centuries.

The basket I picture here was created in the 1930's by Tina Charlie using a quail plume design.  It is truly exquisite.











The Hockney prints surprised me.  I didn't know when I went to the exhibit that they were all created on an iPad.  Hockney worked on these iPad drawings in 2010 and 2011.




























They were all printed on four sheets of paper and then mounted together.

































They are beautifully done and certainly bring to life my memories of visiting this incredible place.































The colors are so vivid, they just seem to glow in the gallery.

It was an interesting juxtaposition of two totally different technologies.  The hand weaving technology and the digital technology.



I have a new post on Sharon's Sojourns today.  It visiting red rock country.

9 comments:

William Kendall said...

Fascinating!

biebkriebels said...

It looks great to watch them!

Steve Reed said...

I admire Hockney's ability to create such amazing art on an iPad -- but I still think it falls short of his painting. The basketry is remarkable!

RedPat said...

I love the basket! I saw a large show of Hockney's iPad work when I visited Saltaire in the UK and they were interesting but I wasn't blown away.

Lucyna Drozłowska said...

Piękne są te drzewka jak dzieła sztuki. Twoje fotografie są bardzo interesujące.

Bill said...

Wonderful art, the basket is beautifully creative.

Kay said...

That basket is spectacular. My mental images of Yosemite are stuck with Ansel Adams. I wonder what he might have done with an iPad.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Aren't they fabulous Sharon, I love the shot with the two ladies admiring the art 💙

Gemel said...

WOW, they are fabulous.