Monday, November 18, 2019

Fry Bread Mural


I found this mural on the side of a cafe called The Fry Bread House on 7th Avenue in Phoenix.  That purple background caught my eye immediately.  It's a desert scene with a "fry-bread taco" taking wing out the hands of the silly looking rabbit.


I had to photograph it from a narrow passageway between two buildings so I took photos from front to back and then back to front to try to capture it all.  The artist signed it "Thunder" but after some heavy digging, I've come up with a name of Thunder Iron David Calvillo.

I haven't tried the fry bread.  I should stop in one day and give it a try.

This post is linked to Monday Murals.

17 comments:

Gemel said...

A work of art for sure, but a tad wacky for me.

Sami said...

Very bright and quirky mural. Thanks for participating Sharon.

Andy said...

You found a beaut. I like the brilliant colours.

biebkriebels said...

It is beautiful!

Mae Travels said...

That is strange. Especially with all the ambivalent feelings about fry bread — it’s a familiar childhood food for native americans, but represents the unhealthy quality of “reservation’ food made from flour and fat that were never in the original,pre-contact native American diet.

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Jackie McGuinness said...

I've had fry bread in Arizona and loved it.

RedPat said...

I love the mural so I bet they put effort into the bread!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I never had fry bread until I moved to Missouri. It's big there, so incredibly sinful, and quite unhealthy. A similar bread formed into balls and fried the same way, then covered in cinnamon sugar, is called pull apart bread in MO., too. Equally unhealthy, but oh so good.

That leads up to this very unusual mural. I'm so glad you were able to get the entire mural in these shots. If I didn't know the back story you shared, I wouldn't have guessed it.

Steve Reed said...

I guess the bread is lighter than air! I like the gila monster.

Bill said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bill said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bill said...

What a nice and colourful mural. You seem to find some beauties, Sharon.
Yay, I got it right. :)

Catalyst said...

Oh yes you should. And photograph it. And review it!

William Kendall said...

I like this one, Sharon.

Lois said...

That is a nice mural. I wouldn't mind trying the fry bread, even if it is unhealthy!

Klara said...

quirky, I like it. very eye catching.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Love the colours Sharon, a beautifully eye catching mural 💜