Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Not Quite Ready Yet


It's not quite picking time yet.  I saw these big fat oranges on a tree near me just two weeks ago but as you can see, they have a little more time in the sun before they they turn a delicious shade of orange.  In a few more weeks it will be time to start picking the oranges.  There are still a few orange groves around the outskirts of the city.  When I first moved to Arizona, back when the "outskirts" were a lot closer in, there were a lot more.  In fact, I remember my parents sending boxes of citrus back to Illinois for friends and family as a holiday present.  I wonder if there is anywhere around here that still does that.

12 comments:

Revrunner said...

A wonderful photo, Sharon. Must be a real treat to enjoy these fresh from the tree. :-0

Andy said...

This is the first green orange I have seen.

Kate said...

Orange or not, very good shot!

RedPat said...

I can remember getting oranges shipped from Florida in days past. I've never really seen green oranges either, Sharon!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

I bet they will be delicious soon enough, I remember how excited I got when my mango tree produced it's first fruit, soooo exciting 😁

Catalyst said...

We had orange trees in our yard in the first couple of places where we first lived in Glendale. Then we had an entire row of trees with "ornamental" oranges in the yard of our home in Central Phoenix. They made good marmalade.

Bill said...

I'm with Andy, I've never seen a green orange before.

Janey and Co. said...

We use to ship our ruby red grapefruit from south Texas to relatives. I am not sure if they still do that either.

I scrolled down through your pictures from your recent trip. Colorful and beautiful

Thanks for the visit, I hope that you will come again....Janey

Catarina said...

Now that I think of it... I've picked apples but never oranges... hmmm something to consider... : )

William Kendall said...

I didn't know oranges looked like that when not yet ripe.

Kay said...

My husband remembers the groves around Phoenix when he was a teenager there. I miss the citrus trees we had in California, especially the Meyer lemons.

Steve Reed said...

Florida used to be full of little roadside businesses that would ship oranges north in the winter. I think a lot of them have gone by the wayside because oranges are nationally available in supermarkets.