Sunday, August 18, 2019

Unusual Architecture


Front
Back in mid-April one of the issues of The Week magazine, had a picture of a house for sale in Phoenix.  It was part of a weekly article in the magazine called "Best properties on the market" and every week there is a certain theme for the piece.  On that week it was "Unusual Architecture".  I so rarely see a listing from Phoenix so I decided I should locate this one and get a look at it myself.  I found the listing and the address, mapped it out and then tossed the magazine in my car to search it out sometime.  It was pretty far from where I live so it sat in my car for several months until I finally made the trip this weekend.

Side
As you can see, the house is constructed from shipping containers.  Personally, I don't find that very attractive and I can't imagine that it could possibly be very cost effective.  After all, those containers need to be purchased, transported, then insulated and plumbed and placed on a foundation.  And, that doesn't take into consideration the cost of cooling a giant metal house during the Arizona summers.

Back
The photo that was in the magazine and that appears in the listing was taken from this angle and in the evening with the lights glowing from inside.  And, of course those garbage containers were not in the picture.  The for sale is still in the yard so it looks like it hasn't appealed to anyone and at a price tag of $575,000, who can blame them.

I have a new post on Sharon's Sojourns today.  The sea is calling me!

12 comments:

biebkriebels said...

I agree with you, they are not very attractive. Here they are used to house students.

Andy said...

Different way to prefab a house. Using shipping containers is a ingenious way to construct a home. That's just my opinion.

Catarina said...

I wouldn't buy it.

RedPat said...

I think they look too much like shipping containers - could use some paint and a more interesting configuration. The place looks a bit boring don't you think?

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Wow that's a pretty hefty price tag Sharon, must admit to being super curious to see inside. I see many Kline containers every time we go to Fremantle harbour ☺

Bill said...

I agree with Pat, it's pretty boring and I think the price tag is rather high. I wonder if the price will come down if it sits much longer.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I suspect this is not appealing to most people - but to each his own I suppose. And it is not exactly dirt cheap.

Thérèse said...

I wonder at the insulation required for this kind of home but I know that they used and probably still use this kind of home for needy people around the world.

William Kendall said...

It wouldn't appeal to me either.

Allison said...

It's utilitarian. I wonder how hard it was to permit that structure, did the neighbors know what it would be and fight it? I don't think it helped the surrounding property values.

Steve Reed said...

A half a million dollars? For shipping containers?!

Jack said...

Interesting. The guy who is married to one of my daughter's friends has a business making residences out of discarded shipping containers. I haven't seen any myself, but the concept is interesting, even if the aesthetics aren't.