Sunday, March 3, 2019

Symmetry....It's Everywhere




One evening last week I attended a lecture at the Desert Botanical Garden.  The speaker was Frank Wilczek, a Nobel laureate, physicist, professor and author.  His book is called "A Beautiful Question: Finding Nature's Deep Design".

His topic was "Symmetry" and all the places it's found in nature such as in plants and minerals.  He explained how natural symmetry influences almost everything we do.
















He talked about how we find symmetry in almost everything we humans create.  It is present in architectural design, both old....


... and new!


When he started talking about how symmetry influences art especially with the assistance of digital programs, it made me immediately think of all those kaleidoscopes I like to create like this one that was once a poinsettia bloom.  I enjoyed his talk very much and it inspired me to keep on creating whenever I can.  

I have a new post on Sharon's Sojourns today.  I'm visiting a modern day cloister. 

8 comments:

biebkriebels said...

Interesting lecture!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

It really is everywhere when you begin to notice Sharon. Sounds like a fascinating talk. Looooove your last floral kaleidoscope shot 🌸

Bill said...

Wonderful examples of symmetry, Sharon. The lecture sounds really interesting.

William Kendall said...

Your second shot is my favourite.

RedPat said...

That must have been so interesting, Sharon!

Amy said...

The first one, echevaria - gotta love succulents.

Steve Reed said...

What an interesting topic! It is amazing how many seemingly organized patterns can be found in nature. I read once that one of the things humans inherently find attractive in others is symmetry of the face -- symmetrical faces are generally felt to be more beautiful than (even slightly) asymmetrical ones.

Karl said...

Beautiful series, haron !