Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Modern, Novel, Unique, Eclectic....


....all those words apply!

Last weekend, I discovered a very unique store called Modernique.  It is owned by Julia Buckingham, a Chicago based designer who has a reputation for mixing old with new to create a "window into the past and a bridge to the future."

I didn't know any of that when I entered the store, I learned most of it by consulting the website.  All I knew at the time was that I was enjoying looking at so many unique and some might say crazy things that looked so good together.

After all, shouldn't everyone have a bust of Napoleon with a lighted hat?





I fell in love with this 3-drawer chest.  The drawers are faced with glass over multi-colored panels.  It doesn't go with anything I have but I love the look of it.

I had so much fun exploring the things in this store.  It was a visual treat!

15 comments:

biebkriebels said...

I like the mix of old and new, very original and creative.

Andy said...

Napoleon no... Elvis or Buddy Holly yes.

Sandi said...

cool...

RedPat said...

It sounds like you will be back there again, Sharon!

Judy Ryer said...

Even when you are not in the market to buy, it's fun just to look.

Lowell said...

I would enjoy looking around this store even though I didn't see anything I'd want to buy. I think you forgot the word, "uncomfortable," in reference to that first photo with weird sofa. :) And if there's anything I don't need it's a bust of Napoleon! But like you say, it's great fun to check out this stuff. I wonder if there's a market for it; or enough of a market for the owner to stay in business. Hope so. In a world of Mickey D's and Burger Kings, etc., it's nice to have something unique and creative.

William Kendall said...

I'd go for the Napoleon.

Catalyst said...

Looks like fun!

Bill said...

The table is my favorite piece too. William can have the Napoleon. :)

tonyon said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lois said...

I could spend a long time in there!

Jack said...

I like visiting places like this, though I would probably walk out empty handed.

boromax said...

Delightful! High fives to Andy for the Elvis/Buddy suggestion. I'd be looking for Einstein or Tesla.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Looks amazing Sharon.. how cool is the sofa in first shot!

Steve Reed said...

I do kind of dig the Napoleon, weirdly. Not sure I'd want to look at him long-term, though.