Thursday, November 8, 2018

City of Water, City of Fire


From my stop at the Heard Museum, I drove just down the street a little way to the Phoenix Art Museum to see a new exhibit they had all about a Mexican archeological site called Teotihuacan: City of Water, City of Fire.  So here we have a show of artifacts from an ancient archeological site at the art museum.  Another combination that seemed a bit odd to me.
However, most of what was on display were sculptures, masks, statues and other artistic objects.  In fact, there were so many of these objects on the site giving evidence of a very large arts community.













The small figures above were all female figures and all stood around 4 inches tall.  The one just above is a mother with a child in what looks like a carry basket similar to what we see mothers using today. An ancient connection to modern day!

Somehow, I felt like seeing these two exhibits (the one at the Heard that I featured yesterday and this one) on the same day they sort of complemented each other.  I'm glad I got to see them both.

11 comments:

biebkriebels said...

It is always so amazing to see the old cultures and how beautiful things they made. I like this art.

Lowell said...

Is that last piece what I think it is? (It doesn't look like mother with child in a basket but maybe I can't see it clearly.) It appears to be some phallic symbol. Fascinating! It's quite amazing how these ancients were able to do such intricate work without fancy tools or computers!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Fascinating Sharon, the age of these artifacts is astounding!

RedPat said...

I really like all of these pieces, Sharon! What a great show!

William Kendall said...

That kind of exhibit would fascinate me!

Bill said...

It's always interesting to see how creativity plays out in an ancient culture. These pieces are incredibly beautiful. What a wonderful surprise for you to come across such an interesting exhibition.

Lois said...

I love those little figures, especially the last one with the child. Some things never change.

Sandi said...

That does look like a baby carrier from today!

Catalyst said...

When we lived in Mexico we found the artifacts discovered around Colima to be fascinating.

Francisco Manuel Carrajola Oliveira said...

Peças de uma grande beleza.
Um abraço e bom fim-de-semana.

Andarilhar
Dedais de Francisco e Idalisa
O prazer dos livros

Steve Reed said...

It shows how prosperous those early cultures were -- that they could afford to dedicate skills and resources to the creation of artistic objects.