Sunday, September 9, 2018

Hayden Flour Mill


Here is a relic of the past that sits right in the heart of downtown Tempe.  The Hayden Flour Mill dates back to the 1870's however the mill standing today was built in 1918 after fire destroyed the first two versions of the mill.  These days, the mill is on the National Register of Historic Places and people can now take tours of it.  Although work at this site ceased many years ago, the Hayden Four Mill still is in business today.  They are devoted to making flavorful flours from heritage grains.  I caught this shot of the mill one late afternoon with the setting sun giving it a golden glow.

I have a new post on Sharon's Sojourns today.  Did you know there was an Arizona Gold Rush?

9 comments:

Andy said...

There's not many structures like this left standing. There a few in my part of the world but rare indeed.

biebkriebels said...

This mill looks quite different from our mills, it looks more like a storage.

Judy Ryer said...

The lettering on the side is faded but still readable. I love the lighting that you captured in this shot.

William Kendall said...

It reminds me of a structure in a city near where I grew up. I wonder if that thing is still standing.

RedPat said...

There are silos here down by the Island airport that hey keep debating about their future. Hotel, gallery? Nothing ever gets done.

Bill said...

The building is bathed im beautiful light. Nice one, Sharon.

Steve Reed said...

I love that amazing glow!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

You know what they need Sharon, a touch of art 😊 if you Google 'silo art trail WA' you'll see what I mean. They do look pretty fab in this light, nature's art ✨

boromax said...

Excellent photograph! We have a similar structure near downtown Fresno. I pass it twice a day going to and from work. Every time I think, "I need to take a picture of that!" Now you have inspired me!