Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Marking the Infinite


While I was out for my walk at the Scottsdale Civic Center Park, I decided to visit the Scottsdale Museum of Contemporary Art to see what exhibits were on.  I'm so glad I did.  I saw two wonderful exhibits, the first was called Marking the Infinite:  Contemporary Women Artists from Aboriginal Australia.  With my love of patterns, all of the pieces in this exhibit appealed to me.  The poles and paintings above are by Nonggirrnga Marawili who was born in Darrpirra, Northern Territory.  She depicts the elements of lightning, fire, water and rock which play a role in the beliefs of her clan.



This painting is by Carlene West, born in Tjitjiti, Western Australia and now works and resides in the town of Tjuntijunjttarra.    Her paintings are related to the environment of her birth.  Many of her paintings have large white patches that represent the vast salt lake that is on the edge of Tjitjiti.




















This last one is fiber art by Lena Yarinkura also from the Northern Territory and a city named Maningrida.  This piece features mythological female figures called Yawkyawk.

I really enjoyed seeing these wonderful works of art.

Tomorrow I'll show you some things from the second exhibit I saw.

11 comments:

Billy Blue Eyes said...

Like the simplicity of them

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Oh I'm so glad you went to see them Sharon, Aboriginal artists are extraordinair! Every work is so symbolic to their history and their culture.

Steve Reed said...

Interesting! Seeing these photos reminds me that I went to an exhibit of Australian art at the Royal Academy a couple of years ago, and saw similar aboriginal paintings with colorful patches and speckly surfaces. It was quite interesting though I'm sure I didn't understand all the symbolism.

Lowell said...

I also think these are wonderful and meaningful. Thanks for sharing, Sharon!

Thérèse said...

So different, interesting and beautiful.

William Kendall said...

The patterns in these works are very eye catching!

RedPat said...

These are a treat to see, Sharon! A good friend of mine has an extensive collection of Aboriginal art and i'm always so impressed by the works.

Judy Ryer said...

Nice!

Christine said...

I think I like the last piece with the two figures best.

Bill said...

These are very creative, I like them. The last one with the two figures is also my favorite.

Lois said...

Fascinating! I especially like that last one.