Thursday, October 5, 2017

Unique Apartment Living


I recently found this brand new apartment building located in the Roosevelt Row arts district in downtown Phoenix.  It's unique because it's constructed entirely of shipping containers.  There are 9 one-bedroom apartments available and 2 live-work spaces and one commercial space in the building. It's called The Oscar.  Another "artsy" feature of the complex is the changing art piece that will reside in front of the place.

I cropped in on the current art piece to give you a better view.  This one is by Pete Deise and it's called "Whitewater".  Deise is a sculptor who works with ribbon-like metal.

Interesting apartments and interesting art project.

14 comments:

Billy Blue Eyes said...

Wonder how much they cost as I'm in the process of getting a container for work and the cost in pounds is around £2000 for a 20 foot container. I love the way you can make them into apartments to live in

Thérèse said...

I don't know how much they cost for rent but around Oakland it's $600 a month.
These ones are very good looking.
No art exhibit in anyone of them? ☺️

Lois said...

I didn't even realize what they were until I read your post. Very creative!

Lowell said...

I think it was on HGTV several years ago that I saw people making homes of shipping containers. Not my thing, but they were quite well done. Love that art piece. I thought it was one of Marilyn Monroe's wigs! :)

William Kendall said...

That's quite a different approach!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

What a brilliant idea! You would think that they would be fairly reasonably priced being what they are.. but I bet they're not ☺ would be fascinating to see inside!

Christine said...

I like how they look as they have been well assembled! very creative living!

RedPat said...

I love this place, Sharon! And the sculpture!

Bill said...

A very creative and attractive complex, I like it. The sculpture is beautiful and looks great in front of the building.

Judy Ryer said...

Well, that's new! I hope they have good cooling in them. They are modern looking so the art work goes well with them.

Amy said...

wow they're very unique. People have made houses out of them here which I think is a great idea as NZ has a big homeless people problem, these would be perfect.

Steve Reed said...

What an interesting (and environmentally friendly, I would think) idea! I wonder what they look like inside? Does Phoenix ever have architecture open-house days when you can go inside some of these otherwise private buildings? We have them in London and they're fascinating.

Jack said...

Very, very nice! I am not really an apartment dweller, and one bedroom is too small, but I do appreciate both the environmental sensitivity and the bold design.

Karl said...

I'm sure the apartments are wonderful inside.