Saturday, September 30, 2017

The Not So New - New Windsor Hotel


The New Windsor Hotel began it's life in downtown Phoenix as the 6th Avenue Hotel back in 1893 right after the territorial capital was moved to Phoenix.  It started it's life as a two-story brick building.  In 1925 the name changed to the Windsor Hotel and during the 1930's it underwent a big remodeling project where a third floor was added and the new 'modern' stucco finish was added.  It is the only 19th century hotel in Phoenix that is still in use today however it's not used as a public hotel any longer.  Today it serves as housing for the low-income elderly.

11 comments:

Andy said...

When I first looked at the hotel sign I new it was a blast from the past. I guessed 1940's. I was amazed when I read 1893. That is awesome!

Christine said...

Now that is old! I think that is a great use for it nowadays!

Thérèse said...

An opportunity for a good re-conversion.

RedPat said...

I like the look of it, Sharon!

Judy Ryer said...

I love art deco buildings. It must have gotten that look in the 1930 remodeling. I like it a lot and I like the bikes waiting out front.

Lowell said...

It's a lovey old building and being one of the low-income elderly, I especially appreciate its purpose! :) Super photo, too!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Gosh that building had good 'bones' Sharon! Love what they've done with it.. hope it's nice inside too for those elderly occupants ☺

William Kendall said...

It's a beauty!

Bill said...

The building has that feel good story to it. It is a beautiful building, well cared for, and is home for many low-income elders. Still serving the community all these years later. Excellent photo Sharon. I do love the hotel sign too.

Jack said...

I"m glad that the building has somehow survived. It looks like it has good bones and it has been pretty well preserved.

Steve Reed said...

It looks a lot like old Miami Beach, before Miami Beach got so swanky.