Thursday, March 9, 2017

Indian Fair & Market


Another major event that was happening last weekend was the Heard Museum's annual Indian Fair & Market.

Meet Beverly "Bear King" Moran, a Hunkpapa Lakota Artist who specializes in very intricate bead work.  Doesn't she look fabulous in her hand beaded costume?  And you can see two blue ribbons that she won for her outstanding work.




















The lady who made this wonderful "rodeo" rug was also demonstrating her weaving technique.  


One of my favorite things to see are the colorful figurines.  I fell in love with this little clown with his watermelon slice.  But, I didn't bring him home with me.

I spent nearly 4 hours at the event admiring all of the wonderful works of art and visiting with artists that I see every year.  I hope they all had a very successful market day.

13 comments:

Kate said...

Whenever I see photos of yours like these, I have dark thoughts about my husband's refusal to move to the Southwest in the 80's when I fell in love with Santa Fe and New Mexico. Sigh! That dress is exquisite, and I adore the figurine.

Karl said...

Definitely an event for my wife !

PerthDailyPhoto said...

I agree with Kate, the dress is fabulous, i wonder how long all that beading took to do, so much patience! Hope everyone pulls it in to see the details. Gosh you did well to resist the watermelon eating toothpick carrier Sharon 😀

Steve Reed said...

Amazing work! I like the clown too!

Judy said...

I bet that costume makes a wonderful sound when she moves in it. And you know that I want that rug.

Lowell said...

Ms. Moran is stunningly beautiful as his her work. I'd love to see all of these artsy works in person.

William Kendall said...

That dress is a marvel!

TJ Davis said...

Oh Sharon I'm so jealous. I never got an opportunity to go to that museum but I've so wanted to do that for a long time. I spoke to you previously of my friends who used to live in Phoenix and are now diseased. Marilyn used to work for a large legal firm there and they were engaged in a variety of law suits over native American rights. She traveled to Hopi reservations, I think near the Grand Canyon, to record depositions from elderly tribal members. I really enjoyed hearing the stories she told about her experiences. And throughout her home there were countless gifts she brought back that were were so very beautiful.
Thanks for the pictures, you let me go even though I cannot be there myself.

LOLfromPasa said...

What incredible creativity and skill. I would have love being there.

RedPat said...

I love the figure, Sharon! Traditional yet modern at the same time.

Jack said...

She does look great. And that rodeo rug is pretty impressive.

Christine said...

I agree, Sharon, the Lakota lady' s beadwork outfit is absolutely stunning !

Catalyst said...

Nice.