Thursday, March 2, 2017

A Place Where We Emerge


The title to this post is the name of this artwork that I admired last weekend at the Heard Museum.  I featured a small piece of it yesterday for theme day.  Today I'll show you some more of it.




























There is a lot to see in this piece.  I studied it for a very long time.  


I had to climb to the second floor to capture the whole thing.  The artist is Tony Abeyta, a Navajo artist and his piece is done in India Ink and Charcoal.  I think it makes an outstanding addition to the museum. Over to the left of this shot you see a door leading to the Grand Gallery.  That is a new gallery that was recently added and oh, the beauty that was inside.  I'll be scattering some of the fabulous things I saw in there in some future posts.

10 comments:

Christine said...

It is a huge piece of stunning artwork, Sharon! The details are so intricate but create an overall effect that is amazing!

Kate said...

Abeyta is another outstanding Navajo artist trained at the Santa Fe Indian Art School. I am so happy that yu posted the entire artwork. Wonderful, isn't it? Thanks for posting close-up details!

Judy said...

That is huge!

Lowell said...

What I find interesting is that the more you look at the piece, the more there is to see and some parts of it morph into different things. Fascinating!

Steve Reed said...

What an interesting piece. I wonder what it means? It seems to harken back to folk tales and religious imagery, maybe?

William Kendall said...

Striking work, and big!

TJ Davis said...

I have to comment on the size too. It is so fascinating and so big. The long shot really shows that. In addition to the intricate, beautiful art, I think the size also says something.

Catalyst said...

I haven't been to the Heard in many years. Guess I should plan a visit.

RedPat said...

I really like it!Like those pots in the front of your last pic too, Sharon!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

So glad you showed the big picture too Sharon, so many small details but seeing the whole work I can understand the title of the piece. Looks like a wonderful gallery.. art galleries are one of my favourite places to visit!