Monday, March 6, 2017

A Herd of Zebras & Other Friends


Not the four-legged zebras but, the two winged zebra butterflies.

Yesterday I made my way to the Desert Botanical Gardens to see the brand new Butterfly Pavilion that just opened this weekend.  The crowds were huge but, I timed my visit perfectly and only had to wait in line for 5 minutes before I passed through the portal to wander among these flying beauties.

This group of zebra butterflies seemed to be very fond of this palm plant.













They have filled the pavilion with a real variety of colorful flowers for the butterflies to enjoy and they seemed to be making the best of it.


There was even a large lily plant.  I don't remember seeing one of those in the old pavilion.  This white peacock butterfly found the large bloom to be a good place to rest for a while.


I think this might be a cloudless giant sulfur butterfly who found a flower he could blend right into.
This is the time of year when there is a lot going on in the Phoenix area.  Everything seems to cluster into the February, March and April months to beat the heat of the summer.  I had a busy weekend seeking out all the events and gathering photos.  I'll have lots to share in the coming days.

13 comments:

Andy said...

The butterflies are so beautiful... so are your photos.

Christine said...

What a great place to visit and wonderful shots of the butterflies, particularly those zebras!

Steve Reed said...

I see those zebra longwings in the wild in Florida! I think I may have seen the other two, too...

Judy said...

Just beautiful! I've never seen a zebra butterfly.

TJ Davis said...

I've never seen any of them before. We seem to have very few butterflies here, or at least I don't often see them. Thanks, those photographs are beautiful.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Oh my! The Zebra butterflies are incredible, the markings are fabulous. What a treat to have a butterfly pavilion.. I'm going to have to Google and see if we have one here, I don't think so! You've captured them so beautifully, merci beaucoup for the visual treat Sharon.

RedPat said...

How wonderful to be surrounded by these beauties, Sharon!

Lowell said...

All I can is "Wow!" These photographs are perfect ... so detailed and so sharp and so the right colors! A delightful post.

William Kendall said...

They certainly are pretty!

Lois said...

They are all so pretty Sharon. Your photos are wonderful!

Karl said...

Wonderful images again, Sharon !

LOLfromPasa said...

Impressive to see those butterflies. Gorgeous images.

Jack said...

Oooooh. Nice butterflies. You are reminding me that I haven't visited either of the butterfly places in SWFL this season.