Saturday, January 7, 2017

One Last Look



I made a trip to the Phoenix Art Museum yesterday to get one last look at the Kehinde Wiley exhibit before it comes down next week.  So, I thought I'd share three more paintings from that exhibit.























The talent of Wiley is most impressive to me.  I watched a video he made about his work while I was there and I found it interesting how he recruits his models and composes the paintings.  He has a book full of photos of classic paintings and he chooses several that he wants to use.  He then poses his models in similar poses to what are in those paintings and photographs them.  He then uses the photos as the basis for his paintings.  Adding the backgrounds and other things like the horses.


This was an exhibit that I thoroughly enjoyed!

9 comments:

Christine said...

Amazing artwork! I've not seen anything like this before so thanks for sharing!

Lowell said...

I've got to admit that I didn't want to like this kind of art, but after seeing your gorgeous photos, I find I'm being drawn to it and that's a good thing.

Come see me: http://www.landlfotos.weebly.com/blog

And have super weekend!

Judy said...

I like them too.

William Kendall said...

The Napoleon variant really catches my eye- perhaps because I've got some Bonaparte coming up after the weekend.

Steve Reed said...

It's really beautiful work, quite detailed and distinctive and unique. He seems to be raising questions about race and culture, or that's what I see in these three paintings, anyway.

RedPat said...

I've really enjoyed seeing the pieces you have shown, Sharon!

Lois said...

Interesting work. I really like that third one.

Bob Crowe said...

I've seen his work but can't remember where. Like the homage to Delacroix in the middle.

Karl said...

Gorgeous paintings, Sharon !