Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Avante-Garde Fashion


The reason I went to the Phoenix Art Museum last Saturday was to visit the member preview of a new show called Emphatics: Avant-Garde Fasion.  I had received an invitation in the mail and I thought it looked like something I might enjoy.



Until I got there, I didn't know the story behind the exhibit.  in 2015 the museum acquired a collection of fashions and fashion related materials that had been collected by James and Karin Legato who owned and operated an exclusive boutique in Pittsburgh called Emphatics.  The collection included not only the wonderful couture clothing but, also invitations to runway shows, videos and accessories.  This is the first time the collection has been exhibited together.














The clothes were by a variety of famous designers like Christian Lacroix above.  I love that polka-dot suit with little striped kick-pleat in the back.  Other designers represented were Alexander McQueen, Issey Miyaki, Thierry Muglar, John Galliano, Jean Paul Gaultier and many more.


The show was an opportunity to see some amazing fashions and to hear the story of the Legato couple's expeditions to Paris and Italy to discover new and upcoming designers of clothes, shoes and accessories.  The whole show was another visual feast.

10 comments:

Mersad said...

Wonderful interior shots.

Mersad
Mersad Donko Photography

Judy said...

You did a good job with the photography. I bet it was interesting to see.

William Kendall said...

Certainly good for the photographer!

Lowell said...

Not my kind of thing, but I can understand that you would have really enjoyed this. I always enjoy your photography, so that's a plus!

RedPat said...

I would really enjoy this I'm sure, Sharon!

Christine said...

I can see why you call it a visual feast!

Steve Reed said...

What a cool show! I bet Emphatics was an amazing store.

Thérèse said...

Beautiful show, wonderful pictures.

Jack said...

I am surprised at how many museums have mounted fashion/clothing-related shows recently. I have to confess that I skip right past these.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Jack's comment made me smile Sharon, just one more difference between men and women, I would have loved to see this exhibition 😊 I'm just going to have to come over to Phoenix ☺