Monday, August 15, 2016

Lykes House Revisited


Way back in 2009, I had a post about this house, the last home designed by Frank Lloyd Wright.  I recently took another drive up the mountain and found myself right next to this beautiful home.  It was built for Norman and Aime Lykes in 1967 but, it was the last home Wright designed before he passed away in 1959.  The home was built by an apprentice of Wright's, John Rattenbury.


Apparently, this house was put on the market early this year.  I found a listing for it at $3.6 million dollars.  I didn't see any record that it actually sold but, I'm assuming it did.  If you click the "listing" link above, that site has some pictures from inside the house.  You can tell from the second shot that the home has some fabulous views over the city of Phoenix.  I bet it's spectacular at night.

The house reminds me very much of the David and Gladys Wright house that I featured on January 28th, 29th, and the 30th of this year.  It has that same rounded, almost snake-like design.   The similarities make sense since both homes were designed late in the architect's life.

11 comments:

Christine said...

What a space age styled design but it does suit the area and those are spectacular views over Phoenix!

Billy Blue Eyes said...

Not sure I'd want to pay for a place that has no grounds to it

Andy said...

I agree with Christine above. to me it looks like it belongs in a Robby The Robot movie. Just saying.

Judy said...

I like the low profile and curves. I wonder if, when it rains, there is a waterfall off of that roof.

Lowell said...

I do remember this house. I loved it then and love it now. BTW, could you lend me about $3.5 mil?

William Kendall said...

It fits its surroundings well.

Steve Reed said...

I love that 3-D tour! What a great opportunity to see a FLW house that would otherwise be off-limits.

RedPat said...

I love it. It does remind me of the one you showed earlier, Sharon!

Catalyst said...

Fun!

Jack said...

Unusual, Sharon. I don't associate Wright with curves.

Kate said...

I love all of FLW's homes and was glad that you posted the link to see the interiors. For all of its beauty, I think that the interior lacks warmth. I guess I would not like to live there because of that feeling.