Sunday, August 21, 2016

Hatch Chili Season


I got my first taste of the Hatch chili season on Friday when I had lunch at Z Tejas restaurant.  Around the first part of September, restaurants start offering Hatch chili specials so this was the first one I"ve seen.  I ordered the Hatch chili relleno stuffed with shrimp and crab and coated in cornmeal. The dish was delicious.  I'll be looking forward to more features in the next few weeks.

Hatch chilies are grown in New Mexico and they are so popular at harvest time, that many people drive all the way to New Mexico to get some and bring them back.  I'll keep my eyes open for places that are roasting chilies as the season approaches so I can get a photo of those big roasters.

I have a new post on Sharon's Sojourns today.  It's a quick stop in a pretty little city in Maryland.

7 comments:

Steve Reed said...

Why are they called Hatch chilis? Is that the hybrid? It looks really good! I had chilis rellenos in New Mexico years ago and it came in a big pepper like this one. Maybe it was a Hatch chili and I didn't even know it!

Judy said...

I'd have to pass on the shrimp but I'm sure they would have something to tempt me. I've seen some signs out advertising the Hatch Chili here in town also.

Lowell said...

I don't know about this, being a "meat and potatoes" kind of guy but I'd probably give it a try - I do like shrimp and crabmeat...

RedPat said...

I've never heard of these but that looks delicious!

Lois said...

That does look good!

Kate said...

One of the things I miss about summer in NM is the roasting season of the chills. Hatch is a small town but people make pilgrimages there for the harvest and the town smell divine!!

William Kendall said...

I imagine they're quite spicy.