Saturday, January 23, 2016

Glass House


Inside the lobby of the Scottsdale Center for the Arts is a beautiful artistic piece called Glass House.  It's by glass artist and sculptor Therman Statom.  Statom was drawn to art at an early age and at one time worked with Dale Chihuly where he learned the limitless possibilities in glass blowing.  He has since made a career of glass sculpting and more importantly teaching the joys of art to a younger generation.


The glass house consists of panels of glass, some painted, some frosted, all fused together to form a unit you can walk right through.  Within the glass walls are more glass objects, some created and some found objects.  It really is a beautiful piece.  Click here if you want to learn more about the artist.

11 comments:

PerthDailyPhoto said...

It's a fascinating piece Sharon, I'm surprised it's so inter active being made in glass.

Lowell said...

Very unique and most interesting. I'd guess it would be even more impressive seeing it in person.

Kate said...

Love glass art!

Kathy said...

I loved all the bright colors he used in constructing his house.

William Kendall said...

I like it- very colourful!

RedPat said...

I love it!

Catalyst said...

I love Chihuly's work. Not so sure about this but I guess I'd have to see it in person to make a final judgement.

Jack said...

Mr. Statom has gone in a very different direction from his time working with Dale Chihuly. I guess this counts as "interesting," which is quite a different thing than "beautiful."

Steve Reed said...

Interesting! And despite studying with Chihuly, this artist has quite a different style. (I belatedly see that Jack said much the same thing directly above me. So much for originality. :) )

cieldequimper said...

Now that's different and I like it!

VP said...

That's a bit strange, but surely original!