Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Thorne Rooms....Revisited


Last year I did a post about the Thorne Rooms, a collection a miniature rooms at the Phoenix Art Museum.  They were created by Indiana native Narcissi Niblack Thorne who developed an interest in miniatures when her uncle began sending her pieces he found in his travels.  She created 98 rooms altogether and the Phoenix Art Museum is lucky to have 20 of them.  I love to go look at them whenever I visit the museum.  The photo above is of the long room where they are located.  With that large window at the end of the room, photographing them behind their glass is very difficult but, on this last trip to the museum I was determined to get a few shots.


Placing my lens right up against the glass, I was able to snap a few shots without the glare or reflection on the glass.  The room above is called the English Adam Dining Room.  Everything in the room seems to be perfectly in scale.




Even with a wide angle lens, I was still not able to capture the full extent of each room so, for this shot I just photographed one half of the room.

I liked this half with the harp and door open to the garden.



Tomorrow I'll show you a few more of the rooms.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

You did a great job, they look like full size rooms!

Andy said...

I you had not told me I would have never guessed they were miniatures. Nice photography.

Mersad said...

The indoors are really grand!

Mersad
Mersad Donko Photography

Steve Reed said...

Excellent photo work! Shooting through glass is always hard.

Birdman said...

Sort of living dioramas.

Karl said...

How beautiful rooms and miniatures !

Jack said...

The details in these rooms is simply remarkable. Nice job photographing with limited equipment. It is tough getting glass and reflections to disappear.

Judy said...

Looking at the pictures, I would never guess that they were of a mini room. Very nice!

quilteddogs said...

My favorite part of the museum. Great job getting the pictures.

RedPat said...

These are great, Sharon! Hard to believe they are miniatures.

Halcyon said...

Cool! The way you have photographed them makes them seem life-sized.

Mari said...

Even if it isn't the full room I am convinced enough how beautiful it looks. You found a great angle with the harp and open garden, that would be my favorite spot too.

VP said...

They look real! Excellent images of some really fine works!

cieldequimper said...

Like doll's houses? They are fabulous!

LOLfromPasa said...

I would never have guessed they were miniatures...fantastic!

William Kendall said...

You wouldn't know they're models looking at the shots.

Unknown said...

Love this section of the museum! those rugs are so detailed

Catalyst said...

Great job. I tried once to photograph those rooms and had marginal success. I just looked back and found one of my photos was of the one in your first picture. http://oddballobservations.blogspot.com/2013/07/objets-dart.html

Thérèse said...

Excellent pictures Sharon. I am already glad you will show us more of them later.
What a treasure!

Kathy said...

I can't imagine all the work entailed in creating these tiny masterpieces. Fascinating!