Saturday, August 29, 2015

After the Rain


It is certainly a very rare occasion when I get to walk in the Desert Botanical Garden in late August but, late Thursday afternoon a wonderful thunderstorm rolled into the valley and the clouds opened up and blessed us with some much needed rain.



Understanding that desert rains seldom last long, I headed toward the garden on the chance that it might stop by the time I got there.  My timing was perfect.  Only occasional sprinkles were leading the way.  But, the heavy rain that preceded had covered the plants with raindrops and the paths with puddles.

The top shot is a desert rose welcoming the rain.  To the left is a saguaro lit up by the setting sun that was just then peeking through on the horizon.













And as I extended the telephoto lens to capture that big cloud to the south, a US Airways jet taking off from the airport glided into my view.  Needless to say, I enjoyed my late August romp in the garden.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful colours, light and textures.

Steve Reed said...

Love the desert rose picture! Beautiful shots. I really FEEL like I've been thirsty and taken a drink of water. :)

PerthDailyPhoto said...

A desert rose.. that sounds so romantic Sharon! Beautiful shot and I know exactly what you mean by welcome summer rain, it's an all too familiar happening here also.

Kate said...

The dew drop beads on the flower's petals add a great deal to the snapshot.

Unknown said...

In this heat you have to get out and about when the opportunity presents itself. Great shots!

William Kendall said...

Such beautiful images, Sharon!

VP said...

Three different photos, each one beautiful in its own way! Brava!

RedPat said...

I can't decide which of these pics I like best, Sharon! They are wonderful!

cieldequimper said...

After the rain is simply beautiful!

Lowell said...

Love the raindrops on that flower. We love our afternoon rains, too, because they cool things down a lot. They can also be rather scary, though, so that's a concern! That last shot with the place is superb!

Kathy said...

You were there at the perfect time - and temperature!

Catalyst said...

Very nice photos. Good sense of time, Sharon.

Judy said...

So pretty!

Jack said...

I'm glad to know that out there, clouds are willing to give a lift to passing aircraft.