Saturday, May 16, 2015

More Mid-Century Modern


Across the street from yesterday's mid-century modern apartment complex are two more built in that same era.  The one above is called Granada and it has that long sweeping walkway that takes you up to the second floor with a three tiered fountain just behind the walk.


The one above is more low-slung with a squared off design.  It's called "Dayo".  I'm guessing that comes from that old Harry Belafonte song.


Just down the street from all three of the housing complexes, I saw this old VW bug!  It seemed to fit right in to the surroundings.  Is that a kangaroo decal I see on the back window?  And I do believe that steering wheel is on the right-hand side of the car.  I think this VW came all the way from Australia!

12 comments:

Lois said...

These are wonderful, especially the one yesterday with the holes for the palm trees! That old VW is a great find. I would love to know the story behind it.

Birdman said...

For me, these structures would be a change of pace. Welcome? Not sure.

Kathy said...

I think you're right!

cieldequimper said...

I prefer yesterday's architecture. But I'll take the Käfer! :-)

Judy said...

I think I can remember seeing that last building many years ago. You can tell they are from another era.
The VW was is an oldie too!

Anonymous said...

The VW must have a good few miles on the clock!

Lowell said...

I for one, love these buildings! They are the kind of structures I grew up with and appear to be well-cared for! Love the bug, too. I had one in 1964 in Chicago. No heater. I sold it!

William Kendall said...

That walkway really appeals to me!

RedPat said...

These are cool but I still love yesterday's the best, Sharon! Love the old VW and it looks like a really old one - 60s I bet.

Randy said...

Nice complexes and that bug is really cool.

Bob Crowe said...

This is something interesting about PHX and other western cities. There is hardly anything old. By your standards, this is old. The space aliens dropped your city down into the desert several decades ago.

Kate said...

Interesting modern architecture.